Saturday, July 29, 2006

Welcome again!

Hello to any visitors I have via the More San Pedro article about this site! I'll be putting up some more stuff later today, so look around, and feel free to check back periodically.

Films I have sreencaps from already (that aren't on the site yet):

Alex & Emma (Ports o' Call)
Being John Malkovich (47 Freeway, Schuyler Heim bridge)
Beverly Hills Ninja (steaming pile of... ahem, Sunken City)
Chinatown (Pt. Fermin Park, Walker's)
Gone In Sixty Seconds (2000) (Terminal Island, Vincent Thomas Bridge, old Passenger Terminal)
Gone In 60 Seconds (1974) (Terminal Island, V. T. Bridge)
Knight Rider (First TV show, definitely not the last!) (9th and Pacific)
Mr. and Mrs. Smith (47 Freeway, Schuyler Heim bridge)
Out Cold (Little known murder farce, mostly shot in Pedro!) (7th St., Terminal Island)
Swing Shift (Grand Cottages, 9th St., Sunken City)
The Rock (Sunken City, Battery Farley, 37th & Carolina, 7th & Center)
Truck Turner (7th & Beacon, "City Hall")

If you have any suggestions, especially TV shows and older stuff (Tarzan! King Kong! Modern Times!) let me know in the comments section, or via email: devodobbs (at ) yahoo (dot) com.

If you have specific scene info, that also would be helpful.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this! I can often be heard screaming, "it's Pedro!" when I recognize sights on screens/big or TV. I watch The Rockford Files and do a lot of screaming during their airing. One line that ticks me off is
when Gandolph Finch says his girlfriend is singing at a nice little place in San Pedro and Rockford replies that there are no nice little places in San Pedro.
Thanks again - you are appreciated.

7/31/2006 8:59 AM  
Blogger Phillip said...

There are so mant TV shows shot here, it's gonna take a lot of sorting to get the scenes. I'm gonna try, though!

7/31/2006 10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so surprised you forgot "The Usual Suspects" (1995) with Kevin Spacey. There is a scene at the Korean Friendship Bell that is hard to miss. I believe SP is in a few other scenes as well. Great movie!!! And if you went to SP High in 86-87 you would remember they filmed "Some Kind of Wonderful" with Eric Stoltz at the school the summer of '86. Students were picked to be extras. There was a Brendan Frasier movie filmed there too but I can't remember which or when. Just one more, "Crash" - car fire scene with Matt Dillon off Gaffey and 36th.

9/22/2006 2:27 PM  
Blogger Phillip said...

I didn't forget The Usual Suspects, that was the first movie I did! If you check the older posts you'll see it. I was too young for High School, but I knew some people who went to Pedro when Some Kind Of Wonderful was shot. I haven't yet gotten around to getting the screencaps for that (or Crash, which I've seen but frankly did not enjoy). I will, however. Just you wait!

9/23/2006 11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Turner and Hooch (1989) Tom Hanks' dream house at the end of the movie is The Manse in the 300 block of 10th St!
Kara

6/28/2007 9:17 AM  
Blogger Phillip said...

Wow, thanks KM! I have that one on my "master list" but I haven't seen it in a while so I'm glad to have confirmation that Pedro actually appears. It's so frustrating to watch a whole movie and not see Pedro anywhere when you were expecting it. I get info from imdb.com, but it is not always accurate. For example, I watched L.A. Confidential a few times and guess what? No Pedro. Oh well. Thanks again!

6/28/2007 12:14 PM  
Blogger LAkompany said...

You might want to add the San Pedro Municipal Building, which was used as the jail in the Nicholson remake of THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE.

9/01/2009 6:19 PM  
Blogger Phillip said...

Thanks! I don't think I knew that one.

9/01/2009 8:52 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Were the Grand Cottages used in Swing Shift also used for Alvin and the Chipmunks (Dave's house)?

12/26/2009 3:56 PM  
Blogger Phillip said...

Thanks for asking, Melissa! You may know that the Grand Cottages were torn down around 2005 or so, and the Chipmunks film came out in '07. I thought it might still be the same buildings, and I haven't seen the movie, but I checked the trailer and it isn't the Grand Cottages.

12/26/2009 10:12 PM  
Blogger Carey from Humboldt CA said...

I wrote "Everything is Beautiful When You are in Love" In pink paint on a fallen sidewalk in Sunkin City in I think 1971. I was in a movie in Sunken City with Ann View. I lived on Shepard and Carolina, 40th right below Pacific, 39th St, 37th and Gaffey.
I now live in Humboldt County, and visit once a year. I love seeing Pedro on film. Humboldt is becoming more and more popular for filming. The Ewoks ran through are forest, Ferndale just South of me The Majestic and Outbreak played.

11/18/2010 9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home